Don’t forget to register for the GLMA Summer Institute, to be held June 16-17, 2011 at Callaway Gardens! Georgia Media Specialists will be able to get together to work, learn, earn one PLU credit, and network with friends throughout the state! Take a look at our teaser video above (if you can’t access YouTube, view it here on Animoto).
New this year: All sessions are “Make it and Take it” so you will leave this 2-day event loaded with tools, tips, and tricks for jazzing up your program! See below for the approved speakers and topics for this event:
- Jerol Jean Smith: A Collaboratively Planned Unit
- Martha Powell: Using Microsoft Photostory 3 to Extend Literature Connections
- Elizabeth Friese: Creative Research Products
- Dr. Phyllis Snipes: How to Personalize, Professionalize, and Globalize… the Wiki Way!
- Beth Miller: Check! Reading Standard Done!
- Courtney McGough (GALILEO): Create Your Own Story with GALILEO
- Linda Martin: Book Trailers on Animoto: This Ain’t Your Mama’s Book Report!
- Ellen Gadberry: Reading is Thinking – Activities for Building Students’ Thinking Skills
- Susan Grigsby: Graphic Language (Arts) in the Media Center
The response has been phenomenal – rooms for Wednesday have been SOLD OUT so if you need to come in for Summer Institute the night before and don’t yet have a room, please get in touch with Susan Grigsby (see email below). Also, if you HAVE a room on Wednesday night and are willing to share with a colleague, let me (Susan) know and we will do our best to coordinate some roommate situations!
Finally, one of our vendors is providing participants with a reception on Thursday evening! This is the first time EVER and we’re excited to provide this meet-and-greet opportunity for Summer Institute participants.
Need another reason to sign up? Callaway Gardens is extending the special rate for anyone that wants to stay over on Friday night. Why not have your significant other drive up Friday afternoon and spend the evening watching the FSU Circus performance? Then you can spend a leisurely day in the Gardens on Saturday before heading home. Click here to register for Summer Institute NOW (the form is at the bottom of GLMA’s front page)!
GLMA Summer Institute June 15-17, 2011
JOIN US FOR THE GLMA SUMMER INSTITUTE AT CALLAWAY GARDENS!
Registration is open for the GLMA Summer Institute, to be held June 15-17, 2011 at Callaway Gardens! The Summer Institute is a great opportunity for Georgia Media Specialists to get together to work, learn, earn one PLU credit, and network with friends throughout the state! The registration form and the prior approval form can be found on the GLMA website.
The Mountain Creek Inn is offering GLMA members a special price for June 15-17. This offer will expire on May 16, 2011. The rate will be $99/night plus tax and garden admission is included. Call 800-543-7121 for a reservation. Remember to ask for the GLMA Summer Institute Rate. Information about the facility can be found by visiting the Callaway Gardens website.
GLMA is looking for library media specialists from around the state to serve on the GLMA board. Please consider being a district chair if you live in one of the following areas. We need district chairs to represent the following areas:
Counties: Henry, Butts, Spalding, Pike, Lamar, Upson, Fayette
Counties: Coffee, Atkinson, Bacon, Ware, Pierce, Brantley, Camden,
Charlton, Glynn, Clinch
This is a great way to network, contribute to your profession, and become involved in GLMA. (In some districts, two LMS share the position.) This is also a great leadership opportunity and an opportunity to make a difference in our profession. What do our GLMA district chairs do?
1. They encourage LMS in their district to apply for the Library Media
Specialist of the Year award so all districts can be represented in this
2. They attend GLMA board meetings and report on events in their district.
3. They hold a meeting in their area, when possible, to discuss concerns
and encourage networking.
Please email me if interested.
Betsy L. Razza, M.Ln., Ed.S., NBCT
Teacher-Librarian and Webmaster
GA Library Media Specialist of the Year 2005
Druid Hills High School
1798 Haygood Drive
Atlanta, Ga 30307
- How students use GALILEO
- What information students can find on GALILEO
- How Google or other commercial search engines cannot replace GALILEO if K-12 no longer has access to it’s databases
Decatur, GA 30030