February 7 Legislative Update: Good News for GALILEO and What’s Next
The House Appropriations Education Subcommittee members voted to reinstate the funding for GALILEO in the FY 2011 supplemental budget. This means the subcommittee will recommend funding GALILEO to the full House Appropriations Committee.
What’s next for GALILEO funding in the FY 2011 supplemental budget?
- The House Appropriations Committee will vote on the FY11 budget on Wednesday, February 9th.
- The House will vote on the FY11 budget – date TBD.
- The FY 11 budget then moves to the Senate for action. The Senate Appropriations Education Subcommittee has already started discussions on the FY11 budget.
1. Please take a moment to thank the members of the House Appropriations Education Subcommittee for their recommendation to reinstate the GALILEO funds. You can remind them you would like their support of GALILEO funding again in the FY 2012 budget.
Rep. Tom Dickson, Chair – EMAILRep. Rick Austin, Secretary – EMAILRep. Amos Amerson – EMAILRep. Kathy Ashe – EMAILRep. Amy Carter – EMAILRep. David Casas – EMAILRep. Brooks Coleman – EMAILRep. Jan Jones – EMAILRep. Margaret Kaiser – EMAILRep. Howard Maxwell – EMAILRep. Jay Neal – EMAIL
2. Email members of the House Appropriations Committee requesting they adopt the Education Subcommittee recommendation to reinstate GALILEO funding in the FY11 budget. Committee members can be found HERE. For a list of House email addresses, click HERE. The Chair of the committee is Rep. Terry England – EMAIL
3. Continue to reach out to the Senate members. Encourage them to reinstate GALILEO funds in the FY11 and FY12 budgets. Don’t forget to send student examples!
Sen. Bill Heath, Chair – EMAILSen. Tommie Williams, Vice Chair – EMAILSen. John Bulloch – EMAILSen. Jack Murphy – EMAILSen. Chip Rogers – EMAILSen. Horacena Tate – EMAILSen. Jack Hill, Senate Appropriations Chair – EMAILSen. Fran Millar, Senate Education Chair – EMAIL
We will let you know the outcome of the House Appropriations Committee vote on the FY11 budget later this week. Stay tuned…
Lasa Joiner and Michelle Crider